Our workshops explore poetry on various topics with themes including self expression; mental health; relationships; overcoming adversity and more. During our workshops we invite participants to read, listen, speak, create, and share poetry.
Poetry is frequently used in structured therapy sessions; and on a personal level is accessed by many in times of need. It has the ability to inspire thought, change and creativity; it can also promote healing and personal growth. Through poetry we can creatively connect to self, others, and our communities.
You do not need to be a poet to take part. At Poetry Prescribed we welcome all writing levels- rest assured no previous writing experience is required to participate! We only ask that group members keep an open mind, and be willing to explore their own creative potential in a nurturing and judgement free environment.
Below listed are just some of the ways in which poetry can benefit us.
- Has been repeatedly shown to relieve depressive symptoms, improve self esteem and self understanding, and encourage the expression of feelings
- Inspires creativity
- Promotes healing and personal growth
- Alleviates anxiety and stress
- Enhances problem solving skills
- Promotes mindfulness
- Develops greater empathy and understanding of others
- Can tap into powerful non verbal responses, much the way music does
- Promotes self reflection and exploration
- Validates emotional experiences
- Can help people realise that many of their experiences are shared by others
- Can boost your mood
- Can say what you can’t
- Improves communication skills
- Helps individuals redefine their situation by opening up new ways of perceiving reality
Our signature workshops can accommodate up to 30 people at a time, and run for between 1 and 2.5 hours dependent on need. They can be booked as individual sessions, or as a course of 6 workshops. We are also able to design workshops for larger groups. Tell us your aims and objectives, give us a theme to work with, and we will put together a workshop to meet your requirement. Suitable for adult groups and young people (16-24), prices from £100